Due to the high content of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals – the flesh of pumpkin is successfully used for skin nutrition. When using facial masks with pumpkin as the star ingredient, skin remains smooth and hydrated, even during the winter. The five essential points about the fall’s favorite vegetable are followed below:
- Pumpkin is loaded with fruit enzymes and alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), which increase cell turnover – brighten and smooth the skin. In addition, Pumpkin contains the highest concentration of salicylic acid (AHAs) than any other plant.
- Pumpkin contains antioxidants + Vitamin A and C to help soften and soothe the skin and boost collagen production to prevent the signs of aging.
- Zinc in pumpkin seeds is great for acne sufferers. Zinc will help control the hormone level and oil production, as well as assist with healing of the skin.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in essential fatty acids and Vitamin E, which are necessary to maintain good barrier function of the skin. They also regulate sebum, great for oily skin.
- The natural enzymes found in pumpkin are a great addition to exfoliating the skin and therefore, amazing for treating a dull complexion, aging skin and pigmentation.
Recipe: Pumpkin Face Mask
2 tsp well mashed (baked or boiled) Pumpkin
½ tsp honey
¼ tbsp organic or raw milk (or cream for dry skin)
Mix all ingredients and apply to clean face. Leave on for 15 minutes – relax!
Wash off the mask with warm water and follow with toner, serum, and moisturizer/SPF.
Pumpkin enzymes very gently exfoliate dead skin cells. Honey kills bacteria and moisturizes. Milk also retains moisture.
Recipe: Pumpkin Body Scrub
½ cup of well mashed (baked or boiled) Pumpkin
½ cup coconut milk solids (remove the top banks of coconut cream-canned)
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup organic raw sugar – optional (if you need exfoliating effect)
Mix all ingredients. Apply to the body and gently exfoliate the skin of concern. Leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water in the shower.
Have you tried pumpkin for skin treatments? Share below!