Spirulina is a sweet green algae that has been taking over the super health food craze for a few years now. It’s in our green smoothies at our local juice bars. It also comes in forms of snacks (chips, nutritional energy bars) and health nutrition powder mixes. In addition, spirulina is probably the most popular to intake through a supplement form. So, what’s all the hype?
Spirulina dates back to 3 billion years where the Aztecs used the super food for nourishment to their bodies and mind. However, with more research over the years, more beneficial information has come to light on benefits of this super nutrient.
- Spirulina in dry form contains 60% protein, which makes it beneficial for vegetarians and vegans to intake for protein balance in their bodies.
- Helps the body fight infections; therefore, spirulina has been recommended for people with the flu. Laboratory studies have shown that spirulina can kill bacteria and viruses. The use of spirulina is effective for influenza, mumps, measles, herpes and even HIV infection. Spirulina stimulates the production of macrophages in the immune system and destroys pathogens.
- Recommended for people with diabetes (type 2) as it reduces systemic inflammation, which may help to improve the condition and reduce insulin resistance.
- The use of spirulina improves the health of the cardiovascular system. It also increases the elasticity of blood vessels, which helps lower blood pressure. Spirulina is recommended for people with hypertension. The use of spirulina also helps to prevent hypertension and atherosclerosis, and even stroke.
- Stimulates the production of antibodies and help fight infection and chronic diseases by stimulating the immune system.
- The antioxidant properties of spirulina help fight oxidative stress in the brain that may reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and other neurodegenerative disorders.
- Antioxidants in spirulina help protect the body from cancer, heart disease and premature aging.
Where to Purchase? Amazon.com carries Earthrise Spirulina Natural tablets at a cheaper price compared to other retailers.
I’ve personally been taking spirulina from the Earthrise brand every morning and evening in a supplement form for the last two years. Some of the benefits I’ve noticed right away are the energy increase. More importantly, my immune system seems to be functioning much better as I barely get a cold during the year. If I do come down with some symptoms of a cold, my body seems to fight it off rather quickly.
The taste of the spirulina supplements (pill form) is very sweet and they are dark green in color. Spirulina is also sold in a powder form, which can be added to green smoothies in the morning for a quick energy boost and other nutritional benefits. Spirulina is a great addition to anyone looking to boost their immune system and prevent illnesses mentioned above.