Swap that morning coffee with warm lemon water!? Doesn’t sound too appealing, does it? Apparently, water with fresh lemon juice does a body whole lot of goodness when taken first thing in the morning – this trend has been around for a while and many celebs are doing just that to start their rise and shine routine!
I’ll be honest – I heard about it through an interview with Cameron Diaz, which piqued my interest and led me to research on some interesting facts. Plus, I started experimenting myself, and lo behold, one positive health reaction within a few days – no more bloating (I have food sensitivities)! In addition, I’ve managed to kick my usual morning coffee habit goodbye! After the initial caffeine withdrawal, my energy has increased as I go about my day – no more midday crashes!
WHY DRINK THE LEMONADE MIXTURE (MINUS THE SUGAR) FIRST THING IN THE MORNING?
Our bodies get dehydrated while we sleep; therefore, water first thing in the morning will give you that boost of hydration, which equates to alertness and energy. Drinking coffee or caffeinated beverages just does the opposite, hence the sluggish feeling throughout the day. The added fresh lemon juice is rich in potassium and Vitamin C, which will help with digestion, metabolism, and prevents oxidation.
A nutritionist recently advised me on the following-
- Under 150 lbs. – 6 oz. warm water per ½ fresh lemon
- Over 150 lbs. – 6 oz. warm water per 1 fresh lemon
- Immediately after drinking, rinse the mouth with clean water – so, the acid from the lemon will not damage tooth enamel.
- Wait about 15-30 minutes before eating a meal
Here are 11 health reasons to start tomorrow morning-
- Professional nutritionists say that drinking water with lemon juice, first thing in the morning helps regulate metabolism, get rid of toxins and get an extra burst of energy. Natural purification / detoxification help to speed up the process to lose weight.
- Lemons have antiseptic properties; lemon juice has powerful cleansing effect on the kidneys and blood. When our bodies are cleansed of toxins, the entire body comes back to a normal state.
- I understand that many of us like to indulge in coffee and other caffeinated beverages in the morning. If you train yourself to start your day with drinking a cup of water with fresh lemon juice, the results from health benefits will kick caffeine habit to the curb!
- Our bodies need water since it’s a major component of the body. To function properly, each system of the body depends on water. Water flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to cells, etc.
- Citric acid in water with lemon helps to prevent contamination of the arteries, which contributes to maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system.
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which we need for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of the body. Citric water is also a good source of folic acid, potassium, calcium and magnesium.
- Water with lemon saturate the body with antioxidants, and provides the correct balance of electrolytes.
- Drinking lemon water helps to produce more bile, which promotes better digestion of fats. This is especially useful if you want to lose weight or abuse fried foods.
- The antibacterial properties of lemon have a positive impact on the throat. If you have pain or frequent infections of the throat, the citric water is better to drink throughout the day (every 2 hours).
- Drinking water with lemon in the morning helps reduce the amount of production in the body of mucus and sputum. If you frequently drink cow’s milk (promotes the production of mucus), lemon water will help reduce the production of mucus in the body.
- Drinking water with lemon in the morning will help reduce bad breath and improve body odor (in time).
Do you drink warm lemon water first thing in the mornings?